Tips to Get Immediate Relief from RLS
Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a neurological disorder that causes “tingly,” “itchy,” and “pins and needles” sensations in the legs. The symptoms of RLS typically occur when a person is resting, sleeping, or sitting. Most of the times, it occurs at night. If you’d like to know how to stop RLS immediately, here is a list of some effective tips.
- Massaging the legs can give some sort of relief. In the evening, you can take a hot bath. Also, applying a cold and hot compress to the leg muscles will be helpful.
- Various medical studies on how to stop RLS immediately reflect the fact that diverting or distracting your mind can help to deal with it. Keep yourself engaged in some activities like watching television or reading a book.
- If you are suffering from RLS disorder, tai chi and yoga can be of great help. Make walking a part of your daily routine. Also, stretching your legs before sleeping is a good idea.
- As per different medical research reports on how to stop RLS immediately, a few changes in your diet may be effective. Try to have your dinner early and avoid strong or stimulating foods.
- Take control of your alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine intake. Avoiding these would be the best option. If that is too much, try not to consume any of these at least for several hours before you are off to bed.
- Spinach, kale, and asparagus are rich in nutrient folic acid that is not only good for health but also aid in dealing with RLS. Hence, it is advisable to add more such foods that include the above-mentioned ingredients.
- Vitamin B complex supplements, iron supplements, calcium, and folic acid supplements, easily available in the market, often help in curing RLS disorder. However, remember to consult a healthcare professional before you start having these supplements.
- The most important tip is to drink enough water. When you do not drink sufficient water, you may get dehydrated and this, in turn, aggravates RLS. Apart from water, you can also have a few cups of decaffeinated tea during the day.
These are some of the tips on how to stop RLS immediately. Other than the aforementioned relief methods, some herbal and pharmaceutical medications are available in the market. However, it is advisable to consult a medical expert before taking any medication.